Saturday, June 4, 2011

Origami Crown


I remember doing a lot of arts and crafts at the kitchen table when I was a little kid.  I don't remember exactly who I did them with, probably my sister Heidi. 

We must have had some sort of guidance, for a moment I thought, who? And then it dawned on me, probably our elementary school teachers.   We're talking the late 70's early 80's; ya know, the "Good Old Days".  Education before all of the testing; when teachers were allowed to teach kids how to do practical things that we'd use for the rest of our life. 

So, a big Thank You to the teacher who taught me (or taught my sister- who taught me) how to make origami newspaper crowns, because all of these decades later, I have a need for this skill. 



Why paper crowns?

I am attending a retirement dinner for two teachers at my favorite PA elementary school. 
As I responded to the invitation, I inquired if there was anything creative that I could help with. 

I was asked to make crowns. Delighted, I began brainstorming. 

I thought about making the crowns out of wire or using a paper template (I wasn't crazy about either because they would be flat and flimsy), and then something triggered the catacombs of my brain. 

The 3D newspaper crown! 

So I Googled, and sure enough I came across this great step by step video

Me- following the video










As I watched the video a wave of memories came rushing back. I've made these before, as a kid, at the kitchen table out of newspaper! 
Jug Head

Remember the cartoon Archie? I think it is why we were making the crowns, because of the character Jug Head, who always wore a crown.  According to the Web, that cartoon ended in 1978, that means I was only 5 years old. Could I really have such a vivid memory from age 5; could I have been making paper crowns at age 5?  I must have been watching reruns, I must have been older.

Adult size
24"X24"
Well, what size paper does one need to use to make a paper crown that will fit on the head of an adult?  After 4 tries, I figured it out.   24"X24" will make a crown that fits an adult.

 Here are the failed attempts worn by Jamison, my fantastic crown model. LOL!  He's a good sport.
  
Too Small
(12"X12" scrap booking paper)
Perfect kid size
(18"X18" drawing paper)






Way too big
(42"X42")

My crown model  is finally sound asleep so now the fun of decorating begins.  The whole project is off to a great start, my glue gun is all heated up, I am fully charged up on two cups of coffee.... may the fun continue.


Here is a funny video of two little boys making these crowns, wish my sister and I had a video like this from our younger years!

Enjoy,
Tracey




No comments:

Post a Comment