Monday, January 24, 2011

Low Tech Message Center

Create a message center in a common space of your home. 


Our message center is in the front hallway between the garage door and kitchen. It houses a dry erase calendar so that all important events are noted (the dry erase calendar is completely reusable, we've had it for years.  Ours is also magnetic which comes in handy a lot!) and my newest creation, the Tack-it Board.  Yes, a regular cork board would work, but the space is ugly enough with the light switches and thermostat, so adding a decorative cork board creates both function and decoration to an otherwise dead space.



Here's why a message center will be so helpful to our family...

Next week I will begin a new teaching position that is really going to test my family's communication skills!  My husband Sam has been completely off the hook with morning duty since my furlough this fall.  Well his vacation is over and his morning job description has drastically changed from the last few years.  Now, not only will he be dropping our oldest son Jamison off at elementary school,  he will also have to get our little guy Logan off to daycare.  One more change and this is a biggie...  I'll already be out the door when they wake up.  Good luck Sam!

Now the trick is going to be to train everyone to use our message center.  Sam needs to look at the calendar... to make sure that school is actually in session (we have already made that mistake, Sam dropped Jamison off to school on a teacher's in service day LOL).  I'll post a weekly note to remind Jamison that he needs his viola.  To start there will be a note reminding both boys to remember their lunch boxes and backpacks.  This space will be the key to our communication when I can't answer my cell phone or respond with a text... high school starts early boys, the phone will be off!

Here are some more examples of my "Tack-it" boards.  You can purchase them on Etsy at ArtRecycles.etsy.com or custom order one by sending me a message on my Facebook community page Artrecycles (click on the ArtRecycles badge found on this blog)



No comments:

Post a Comment